“Food glorious food, fermented foods, and ancient grains.” Ok, these are not quite the lyrics to Oliver Twist’s most famous song, but those are just two foods that are making headlines for 2023.
Why be aware of food trends?
Parents should be aware of food trends to ensure you and your little ones eat a balanced diet. Furthermore, food trends can significantly impact children’s eating, as they often influence the products in grocery stores and restaurants.
Awareness also helps you avoid unhealthy food fads. For instance, no one should eliminate entire food groups from your diet.
Children learn by example, and parents knowledgeable about nutrition can guide their children toward eating a balanced diet.
Food trends can also impact the family budget. Some diets and food products can be more expensive than others. It’s crucial to be aware of these costs when planning your grocery run or meals.
Three food trends for 2023
- Health continues to be wealth. The health food market continues its boom. This time, we are finding healthy food options and adopting more beneficial ways of preparing them for our families.
- Gut instinct: bring on the fermented foods. More and more, the wonders of a healthy gut reveal themselves to us. Fermented foods are huge at the moment. Many eastern cultures, like Korean and Indian foods, have always had fermented foods as part of their diets. With their beneficial bacteria that can improve gut health, foods like kimchi, kefir, and kombucha fermented foods are rich sources of vitamins and minerals.
- Increase in family dinners. Yes, this is excellent news. Due to rising food costs, it’s anticipated that more meals will be eaten at home and together. The upside to this, of course, is that families will have a chance to connect over a shared meal. We love this trend!
Three food trends to make moms smile in 2023
- Self-care solo dining. Yes, it’s a thing, and it’s an excellent thing. Take the time to recharge and savour the flavour of your favourite meals.
- Plenty of dates. Life is delectable and sweeter when you throw in a handful of dates. Known as nature’s candy, these are a delicious treat making a huge comeback. Chocolate-covered dates are all the rage; just ask Tik Tok.
- Canned fish makes a return. For years it was frowned upon, but for those of us who indulge, they are, without a doubt, delish. From mackerel to sardines and salmon, tinned fish is much more cost-effective and climate-friendly.
Three kiddies snack trends 2023
- Delightful drinkables. Power-packed, naturally sweetened smoothies continue to be a hit with little ones. You can even prep them at home and grab them and go!
- Feeling “gutted.” Gut health increases with a greater focus on foods containing probiotics for children. Yummy options on the market cater to a healthy little gut.
- Brain-boosting snacky bits. Parents are consciously opting for snacks that are linked to boosting brain activity. Provided there are no allergies, walnuts are one example. Load up on fun ways to prep those green leafy veg (like crispy baked veggie chips, Omega 3 (hello tinned fish trend), granola with coconut and chocolate clusters, and colourful crispy baked veggie fries are just a few.
Try some of the trends out and share them with our online community @mamamagicsa